Saturday, April 12, 2014

My First High School Conference

So, my timing of joining AB Samahan in spring semester of last year caused me to miss out on two incredible events: Friendship Games and High School Conference. Earlier this year, I had the pleasure of my first Friendship Games, courtesy of my E-Board SB, Dannie. Today, I feel both exhausted and renewed at the end of a very successful High School Conference.

As a bit of background, I'm currently a psychology major. I plan to open my own practice someday, being a therapist or counselor for teenagers. High schoolers are my dream age range. They have so much spark, so much potential that just needs one tiny tweak, a small push or vote of confidence to truly make all the difference. Being a drum major helped me fall in love with this concept, of changing people's lives with performance and unity.

When I got to college, it was that sort of welcoming and unifying environment that made me join Samahan. Looking back at high school, I wish I had a high school conference. These high school kids were so energetic and spirited and amazing. I adored every crazy hour of it, and I only got four hours of sleep. There's something about making a difference with them that just gives a reward back, and I was able to get through the whole day.

Shoutout to 858 and Westview Bayanihan and 951, especially the 40 people who were in the Tinikling workshop. Everyone was so fun to work with, and there was so much energy in that workshop. Definitely the best of the day. ;D Even though we didn't have music, and we definitely weren't perfect, I'm glad to see everyone getting involved, learning something new, or just being able to take the spotlight. Having this group as my tour group after was a new experience and yet so fun.

Shoutout also to the 951 kids I met - new Ading Jelly, Brenda(Briana? Oh god. I'm so tired. I'm so sorry.), Sabrina, Andrew, and Christine. Sorry if I misspelled your names. It was awesome being able to talk to y'all while heading to the parking lot and back. You were all a pleasure, and if you're coming back next year, either as an SDSU Freshman or a 951 High School Conference goer, I will greet you with much screaming and hugging. If I met you at all today, volunteers and students alike, I've got your back.

Speaking of volunteers, AHHHH SUCH AWESOME VOLUNTEERS. The gentlemen of Alpha Psi Rho were always ready and willing to do anything we needed, and you were all so helpful during lunch, thank you SO much. The volunteers I've met today were a genuine pleasure to work with, and I can't thank everyone enough for coming out so early in the morning to help a huge event like today. :D ALSO TO E-BOARD. GOOD JOB EVERYONE. IT WAS SO AMAZING TO SEE US ALL COME TOGETHER LIKE THAT. I'M SO PROUD TO BE AN E-BOARD MEMBER.

It's days like today that remind me of what I'm working for. Why I'm so passionate about AB Samahan, and why all I can think of is how to improve and progress it; to bring together more people, to change more lives, to make a bigger impact. One person at a time. I hope this trip will give me exquisite insight on the Filipino community, and all the why's. I have a feeling it will. A thousand thank you's and a million hugs, everyone. This might possibly be my last post in the US. Next stop, Manila, Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment