Saturday, February 20, 2016

Filgrimage 2016: And So It Begins.

After months of planning, Skype meetings, in-person meetings, learning new names to an all-new team, 3 and a half hours to LAX, a 12 hour flight to Guam, a 3 hour flight to Manila, to finally finally finally be HOME after two years.

Man, it feels so good to be back, and on my 22nd birthday, no less.

So much has changed since my first trip in April 2014. I became Vice Chairperson of AB Samahan. I grew a lot through that experience. I got more involved in our beautiful community. I joined other organizations. I got my heart broken... twice. I didn't become Chairperson. I've started and restarted my personal healing process. I'm on my way to graduating in May. My little sister started going to San Diego State with me. I'm no longer the wide-eyed girl from 2014, but I'm hoping that I'm still the whole-hearted Filipino I discovered the last time I was here. I just need to find her again.

It's strange to be here with an almost brand-new cast of beautiful people, but the story is still the same. We're all just... trying to find our roots again. The crazy thing is my best friend from high school, Roxanne, is here. Maybe that's why it hasn't truly hit me yet that I'm really back here. It feels like home, and with my best friend by my side, it feels just like shenanigans from back home.

I'll talk more about the people as I get to know them. In the meantime, we have an incredible itinerary including visiting and volunteering at fishing and farming villages, as well as planting coral and harvesting sea salt??? APPARENTLY WE'RE ALSO RE-VISITING THE VILLAGES FROM LAST TIME. I'M SO EXCITED.

Though we're staying more Manila-based, I'm excited for the first-timers, the same way I was excited as a first-timer, to just absorb and love this country and community for what it is and what it could be. I'm trying to soak in the happiness this place brings to me. America can be a little daunting, and I need to carry home with me.

On a less serious note, I have a LOT of pasalubong to buy, ahah. From toasted pastillas to barrel men and barrel women, and everything in between. <3 If you're reading this, I'm thinking of you fondly and wishing you were here! It's time for me to enjoy myself. More reflection-y stuff to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment